Friday, March 29, 2019

Make Don't Break

After a show at The Cameron House on Wednesday, I wandered up its namesake street. It was one of those small, side lanes I've walked by hundreds of times without venturing through. Some evidence remained of its old character, but new buildings and businesses have started to crowd in. Into one such spot, Maker Pizza, I went in for dinner.

This was a bustling joint but mostly for take-out. A procession of delivery staff came through during my time there, not only their own guy but also for a number of online food services. Luckily, there were a few communal tables for us few diners. Looking over the menu, I settled on a small Dani's Red and White Pesto ($16). This was a wonderful meal. You can either get the (sometimes overly) doughy slice at a typical cheap eats, or fresh and tasty (but possibly too thin) at a fancier pizzeria. At Maker, I got the best of both worlds. Thick and fragrant, soaked in aromatic toppings and cheese, with a pleasing oven-baked chew, it was a great pie. Maker Pizza has immediately placed itself near the top of my regular rotation.

No comments: