Sunday, May 18, 2014

Soft-boiled Wonderland

On Saturday, I stopped for lunch at new-ish Wind-up Bird Café, an eatery that locally source its ingredients. The place was bright with cheerful yellow walls and decorations. The atmosphere felt homey and welcoming without resorting to mismatched boho-chic furniture. Rare for a Toronto resto, there was lots of spacious room. I opted for the Belgian waffles ($9.95) with some extra sausages ($3).

I was impressed with the plating, which practically invited you to dig in. The waffles were soft and soaked up the syrup nicely. The soft bacon was wonderful: thick and fatty. And the sausages had a delicate flavour. I appreciated that the vinaigrette for the swiss chard was light on the acidity. The greens themselves were a bit bland, I would have preferred something more fragrant or alternatively more bitter. In general, this place was a step above most casual eateries in the area. Their dinner menu also looks to be a winner.

No comments: