Sunday, May 4, 2014

Piggy In a Bean Bag

I had a few things planned for Saturday, but multiple encounters this past week with rude individuals have left me more irritable than I thought. After a few neutral encounters that felt irrationally like negative experiences, I knew it was time to hole up for the rest of the week-end. So after grabbing some groceries from Chinatown, I decided to go to my new favourite place Qian He for some chinese burritos before heading home.

But wait, finally some fun news. Part of the joke for this place is that despite the signage, there are actually no pork pies. Well in fact there are meat pies! As I watched the dough turn into that deliciously greasy wrap on the hot-plate, chef was also cutting up the same rolled dough into smaller squares, adding some raw pork mixture, and twisting it closed. I can't tell you what it's called since he doesn't speak English, but it's 4 for $5 as the new white sheet of paper says, taped next to the poster of the burritos.

These fist-sized meat pies made a great snack. They were less greasy than the wrap, but crunchy and warm. The pork was mildly spiced with some herbs. An average person can go through all 4 without difficulty. In fact, they reminded me of the Vietnamese pork pastry known as pâté sô (or pâté chaud).

No comments: