Thursday, May 30, 2013

What a Jerk

Jerk Pork

Being a regular at Vena's Roti at Lansdowne and Bloor, I tend to bypass other restaurants in that area. But for the last two weeks, I have been checking out another long time tenant: Caribbean Queen of Patties. I first tried the jerk chicken special ($6). This week I opted for the other white meat, jerk pork special ($6). Jerk pork, oddly enough, isn't too common in Island restaurants. The last time I had it was years ago at a hole-in-the-wall Guyanan joint in Scarborough.

The specials are excellent deals. You get a generous amount of food for the price. The cole slaw is fresh and lacks that sweet sauce. Both chicken and pork were tender and tasty thanks to a great jerk rub. One warning though, the proprietress does not tone done the spiciness. Especially on the pork. It has a piquant heat, which although never overwhelming, will build with each bite. At the end, you'll need to wipe the sweat from your forehead.

No comments: