Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May Two Forte

On a sunny Holiday Monday, I headed down to Kensington Market for lunch. There were lots of pedestrians wandering about, and packing the restaurants. I stopped by Via Mercanti, an airy Italian joint. The last time I was here, they were getting ready to install their new pizza oven, shipped all the way from Italy.

Instead of using 3 ovens, it looks like they've decided to get rid of their two locally-built ones. I ordered a Quatro Stagioni ($18), pistachio gelato ($7), and a beer ($6.75). The pizza came with the various ingredients placed in 4 separate quadrants. All were tasty: salty proscuitto, tangy dried tomatoes and artichokes, minty basil. The only downside was that they were not topped liberally over the entire pie. The house-made gelato was cool and refreshing on this hot day. It tasted like real pistachios were used.


It was a nice lunch but there were some issues at the restaurant that needled me. Given the cost, and the existence of equally good pizza joints elsewhere, I'll take my business to more sympathetic and accommodating restaurants.

No comments: