Monday, January 23, 2012

Pocket Rocket

When I don't know what to eat, I head down to Jumbo Empanada in Kensington Market. For more than a decade, this has been been my go-to place for tasty street fare. For years, they have kept their prices but due to rising cost, the jumbo empanadas have risen from $3.99 to $4.50. It is still a great deal for a pick-me-up of crusty dough stuffed with chicken (or beef/veggie), egg, olives and spices. Add a $2.50 cheese mini-empanada and you have a great lunch. The owner has dialed back the heat on her Chilean salsa (or aji) for the North American palate.

If I don't feel like empanadas, there are also wrapped humitas and corn pies. Various Chilean pastries are also available. On Saturday, there is the slightly sweet Chilean bread panamasado; these tend to be gone by early afternoon though. In the summer, you can sit on the front patio and watch the eclectic human traffic.

No comments: