Sunday, June 9, 2024

The Weak-end

Saturday morning was sunny but there was an unseasonal nip to the wind. Along Monarch Park Drive, a neighbourhood garage sale was taking place. It was mostly young families so the main wares were children's items such as toys, clothes, and books. The kids' were selling lemonade, cookies, and freezies. Some older folks laid out decades-old dinnerware and small furniture.

I didn't find anything useful that could fit into my travel bag. The best community yard sale for me is the one along Palmerston Boulevard. First, it was a well-off neighbourhood so there were always unique and catchy items on display. But at the same time, it had (or used to before gentrification) a good number of young renters. So they were always off-loading clothes and other household goods before moving. A decade ago, I got a mini-desktop computer and a 25" LCD monitor for $30. I brought my finds back to Ottawa where this cheap upgrade was perfect for my Mom's needs.

I then walked to Pape and then doubled back to Coxwell. This stretch encompassing Greenwood and Donlands were relatively underdeveloped though some construction was already taking place for a massive development. I was looking for a shawarma joint that could supply me with a veggie/falalel plate. There were none so it was a bianca slice from the Pizzaiolo near my stay.

Lunch actually made me a bit nauseous. Since I also had a concert in the evening, I cocooned myself underneath a blanket for the rest of the afternoon. I was in a semi-conscious state where fragments of dream meant I did occasionally doze off but it never felt like I was ever asleep. Somewhat recovered, but not at 100%, I got a veggie combo ($17) takeout from Ethiopian restaurant Abugida.

But I ended up staying in for a 3rd night. Yes, unlike the other "potential" shows, I had already bought a ticket. I also hadn't seen headliner Allie X since 2019 and opener Maylee Todd since 2017. Torontonians before they moved to L.A. for better opportunities, these musicians held special spots in my heart. A show with the both of them would be a treat. Energy-wise though, I was drained despite my afternoon rest. It was going to rain all night and the thought of getting back after the show while cold and wet was unappealing. Finally, my stomach was grumbling after dinner. It turned out to be a milder case than the episode in Montreal but I usually cancel plans after these intestinal bouts.

No comments: