Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Mitski Beats

In my recall of the 3 female acts that I saw at The Horseshoe in 2016, I thought it was Michelle Zauner (Japanese Breakfast) who rose to stardom first. But actually Mitski had returned a few months later to the bigger Mod Club. Then it was the even larger Danforth Music Hall in 2018 and then the venerable Massey Hall in March of this year. I don't know why I missed the former but I definitely couldn't get tickets to the latter. So in fact, Miss Miyawaki achieved success first and she has gone beyond my horizon.

However, I was at that Mod Club show though apparently I never wrote it down. It has been too long for much details but I do remember that, instead of standing near the stage like usual, I stood about half-way back and to the side on the raised seating area. I thought that away from the bass-heavy speakers of this venue, I could understand the lyrics better. Also, the capacity crowd was attentive and rapt with her performance.

Despite her admonition at The Horseshoe that she doesn't do encore, Mitski did return for one that night. It was a cover of How Deep Is Your Love? I had approved of this choice and wished that all headliners did covers for encores. All the songs they wanted to sing should be part of the main set. It's a bit bullshit to save 1 or 2 tunes for the requisite callback.

No comments: