Sunday, May 9, 2021

Avenue Cute

I returned to Geary to try to get some empanadas at Gaucho Pies but I was stymied by the long line-up again. Either it's busier on the week-end or the word has gotten out about their variety of flavour. Instead of wandering aimlessly around this time, I decided to just check out another local shop.

I stepped into Geary Market and chose a burger and fries combo ($11) from Burger Avenue. I wasn't sure if they were the same people or simply shared a kitchen. While waiting for my order, I browsed the selection at this small grocery store. There was a number of prepared meals (lasagna, pizza, etc.) from the kitchen and cheese, snacks, and other staples from boutique distributors. This store was at a higher price-point and had fancier options than a NoFrills or even a Loblaws. So despite the modest homes in the neighbourhood, Geary was no longer very industrial.

I took my lunch to Bartlett Park across the street. It was a passable meal but nothing particularly exciting. The fries was the best part: golden and crispy. But compared to the fragrant spiciness of masala fries from Dosa Mahal or the texture of Harlem Bodega, this was just a good try. The vegan burger was mostly disappointing. The toppings were fresh especially the crunchy pickle, but the patty was soft and bland. Other places seemed to have gotten the knack of meat substitute so this was no excuse. Even a nice crunch from deep-fried falafels would be better.

The nice sunny weather was replaced by dark, stormy clouds. Instead of continuing my walk, I headed on home. But I did stop to admire a flowering tree. Most trees were in glorious bloom for Spring, even this wild one, wedged between a wooden fence and the sidewalk, that found purchase in this small patch of dirt.

No comments: