Sunday, March 28, 2021

Chop Shop

A few weeks ago, I watched chef Kenji make a NY loose meat sub known as the chopped cheese. So I was excited to discover via Instagram that vegan outfit Harlem Bodega has set up shop in Little Portugal near Dundas St. W and Dovercourt. And one of their specialties was a meat-free version of this sandwich. So on Friday, I headed over to give it a try.

It turns out that they had moved from North York about 2 weeks ago to take over a basement speakeasy called The Libertine. It was next-door to Remix where I saw 90s cover group Hi-Topp. But since the entrance was a non-descript door with a tarot sign, I had no idea a bar was even here. Harlem has helpfully placed a sandwich board on the sidewalk.

Their menu was quite small: a handful of options plus a lasagna special. But I was here for a BBQ chopped cheese ($16.50) and some fries ($3.75). It was a messy but very delicious eat. I don't know if they make their own "beef" but it had a great mouth-feel. Oddly enough, what sealed the deal for me was the nice crunchy pickle slices. The fries were excellent too: crispy and lightly spiced. I much prefer this sort of "unhealthy vegan" food than at The Hogtown Vegan. I look forward to sampling more of their menu.

No comments: