Wednesday, November 18, 2020

You Take The Good

Last week saw Toronto moving into the Red zone with new Covid restrictions coming on Saturday. So I enjoyed the little wins even if nothing was without problems. First, the weather stayed pleasant enough to still have lunches in the park. I wasn't happy with the take-out wastes though. For example, my bibimbap from Roll & Bowl came in 3 separate bowls plus disposable spoon and chopsticks. Let's see if they'll re-use their (washed) plastic bowl when I return. I have been looking for exact substitutes of typical take-out containers.

Second, my observations to my former landlady was sound. My knee problems cleared up after I visited Origin Wellness for some massage therapy. Even the usual small twinges I feel walking up stairs disappeared. It wasn't a total cure since now and then, some innocuous movement would still temporarily shift something internal to the "ouch" position.

Third, I had brunch on Saturday with a friend I hadn't seen in a few weeks. It was originally scheduled for the back patio at The Three Speed but they were worried about Covid fines. I didn't think we were at the stage where inspectors would randomly check that social groups were only from the same household. But they felt more comfortable eating at home. I wouldn't normally eat A&W take-out but it was more for the company than the food.

They had some personal good news. Their refugee sponsorship of their sibling was finally accepted. If all goes well, the brother will arrive by next summer or fall. Hard to say how the economy will look then but hopefully a good job in the trades awaits for someone with 25 years of carpentry experience. Their room-mate, a young female refugee claimant, was taking pre-law university courses. Meanwhile, the room-mate's boyfriend finished his year-long Canadian accreditation as a foreign-trained midwife and found work at The Midwives Collective. So amid uncertainty for many people, it was nice to hear about good things happening.

No comments: