Sunday, July 12, 2020

Spotted Chick

It has been several weeks of intense heat and humidity so I have kept my walks short and close to home. After a morning rain on Saturday, I decided to take a longer stroll. It was more pleasant than previous days, but still uncomfortable on the return leg.

I passed by the former Grasshopper near College and Spadina. This organic and vegan eatery was too pricey (with small portions) for me to eat at regularly. During my previous pandemic walks, I noticed there was a sandwich board advertising Naan Spot so I had planned to make a lunch stop here today. The menu posted in the window looked interesting with several unfamiliar dishes such as chicken dhaba. But there was no patio for dining and I didn't want to wrestle with curry sitting on a park bench. So I opted for chicken byriani ($9.99).

After wandering up to Harbord St., I found some picnic tables on the grounds of Central Tech. Opening the take-out container, I saw colourful fried basmati rice with some raita. Mixing in the latter, I found several large chunks of tender chicken. In fact, the whole dish was fragrant and delicious. Nothing extraordinary but still competently made. I hope to return soon to check out the other dishes when dine-in options are available.

No comments: