Monday, May 6, 2019

Honey Pie

Tucked in at Leonard and Wales, two side streets next to the Toronto Western Hospital, is a single retail property amid residential property. If the date on the street mural is correct, then sometimes in 2017 it became Sweet Hart, a bakery and coffee shop.

I stepped in, and after looking over the choices, opted for a Maple Oat cookie ($2.75) and a lemon ginger cold tea ($2) as a snack after my lunch on Queen St. W. The cookie was a little dry, probably the "oat" was a little "too healthy". Maybe next time I'll indulge in one of the sweeter options like Chocolate Molasses cookie or fresh donut or a savoury choice like the pizza bun.

As I enjoyed my dessert, I remembered this cozy location almost 10 years ago as a little Mexican taco place called La Tortilleria. Yet it has probably been 7-8 years since I wandered down this street even if I pass by this neighbourhood quite often. Amazing how fast times fly when you think about little details like this. Also, the transition from unassuming taco joint, to whatever shops had taken roots since then, to a bakery that sells keto brownies, that's Toronto in the nutshell over the last decade.

No comments: