Sunday, May 12, 2019

Life Springs Eternal

Sometimes when you have your routines, you forget about all the other things that a city like Toronto can offer. So despite High Park being a green urban oasis, I rarely venture here to bask in its tranquility. But early on Saturday morning, I got off the subway to spend some time at the 60th anniversary of the Cherry Blossom Festival.

Toronto was gifted with a number of these trees several decades ago by the Japanese ambassador and they are planted all over the city. But every year,  most people descend onto High Park in spring to see them bloom. With cold weather and rain, their peak bloom was delayed for a few weeks. But they were in glorious flowering this morning. Even with the early hours, there were plenty of people wandering through the park, usually with cameras and smart phones in hand. There were lots of selfies, but also more professional shots with formal wear: engagement outfits, traditional costumes, and even some cosplay get-ups. I am quite proud that I got a shot of a bird perched on a branch that all other pro-am photographers missed; you have to pay attention and listen and look.

With the ephemeral nature of the bloom, it reminded me of a thought I've been mulling over. Here this morning, at shows, on the subway, every moment of each day, I see hundreds of people in passing. Given the size of the city, the faces are always new and we will likely never meet again. My life and theirs intersect only once for a few seconds. "Have a good one." I'm tempted to shout again and again. "How odd" they might think, "but yes I will have a good day." But what I mean is have a good life.

No comments: