Saturday, February 16, 2019

Not Bowled Over

I sometimes go for lunch at Thai Green Chili at Havelock and Bloor. The food was all right but it was one of those spots that hung on for more than a decade yet always had only a smattering of customers when I pass by. It was finally replaced by an all-day breakfast diner called Cereal Bowl.

In addition to the eponymous cereal offerings, there was the usual eggs-and-sausage breakfast specials, but also pancakes and waffles, too. I opted for a tuna sandwich ($7.45), promised to be made fresh, with some home fries. Diners often don't salt their dishes and that may work for an order of eggs but it doesn't work with a sandwich. The tuna was under-seasoned and bland. Luckily, it was reasonably moist so it wasn't a complete loss.

So an underwhelming first impression for me; I might be back to try the pancakes or waffles. But being not as cheap as perennial spot Billy's Souvlaki Place nor possessing any trendy, hipster-vibe, I'm not holding out much hope for this incarnation.

No comments: