Sunday, February 17, 2019

Bon Bon

On Saturday, I was looking forward to a bowl of noodles from Landing Noodle at College and Spadina but it has gone belly up. In its place was BauZza BauZza, offering various chinese dumplings. They also had noodles and other soups. Looking over the menu, I ordered some steamed veggie buns and butternut squash buns ($1.59/each). I also got a bowl of eight grain porridge.

The buns were quite soft with tasty fillings. Dipped in a bit of soya sauce and chili oil, they hit the spot. I've had congee (chinese rice porridge) before but usually it is made from white rice. So this version with among other ingredients: brown glutinous rice, chinese dates, and peanuts was quite pleasant with different flavours and textures with each spoon. It tasted familiar but I wasn't sure from where until I later recalled that years ago I had attended a food festival. It was mostly packaged food sold from vendor booths. I had bought some canned Asian food including this style of porridge.

It's too bad Landing Noodle didn't make it, but Bauza was a good replacement.

No comments: