Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Relic

Heading home early from work, I decided to get off at the subway stop at North York Centre for lunch. I vaguely recalled from years ago that there was a cluster of Korean eateries in the area. Either it was a different stop or my memory is faulty, but there was none in sight. But most likely it's the decade-long construction boom in Toronto that has changed almost every neighbourhood, even this on-the-edge-of-suburbia location.

Confronted by towering offices, shops, and chain restaurants, I wandered around until I saw an old building nestled between the new high-rises. There were a few restaurants on the ground floor and I walked into Pho 88. The dusty exterior gave way to a more upscale looking interior. This place probably went through the same "minimal wood aesthetic" upgrade (and prettier menu presentation) a lot of the Asian spots did about a decade ago. The lunch crowd was winding down. Unlike other Vietnamese pho places, you actually have a waiter taking down your order.

I got a medium pho special ($10). You get a lot of meat in your bowl for the price. The noodles were a thinner style than other places. One negative was that the broth wasn't as fragrant and subtle. I wouldn't come here from elsewhere to eat. But with the reasonable food and prompt service, I can see why it is popular with the office workers in the area.

No comments: