Saturday, May 19, 2018

Lost In Translation

On Saturday, I went to Tacos Baos near Ossington and Bloor. This was a sort of fusion place where you can order Mexican-style tacos or Asian-style bao. I opted for a steak asada ($4.50), a pino breakfast bao ($4.50) and some fries ($2.75). None of it was very good for the price. As I was eating my meal, I reflected that these were the dishes that places like El Toro (high-quality taco) and Momofoku (open-faced bao) started offering 5 years ago. Now they have finally gone mainstream/fast-food if a spot like Tacos Baos is opening. This was good news overall except that they are charging Momofoku prices with nowhere near the quality.

Update: Unsurprisingly, this restaurant has closed. Even if this neighbourhood is chi-chi enough (which it is in the process of becoming) for this sort of eatery, the execution wasn't there.

No comments: