Saturday, May 26, 2018

Noodling Around

On Friday, I was heading home early from work around lunch-time. As I was feeling peckish, I decided to stop at Yonge and Sheppard for food. I opted for Golden Rice Noodle for two promising reasons: it was packed and all the customers were Asian. Looking the mostly noodle dishes, I settled on the "pickled cabbage rice noodle with fish slice" ($13.99) and a glass of soy milk ($1.50).

A bowl of broth arrived at my table. Where were the other ingredients? They came separate, each in their own little container. This odd arrangement was based on an old folk tale/tradition. There was quite a variety: soft tofu, crunchy wood-ear mushrooms, chewy bean-curd skins, sweet corn. Along with the fish, there was beef and chicken, too. The noodles were toothsome and did not get too soggy. It was a nice lunch with a range of flavour and texture though I needed extra paper napkins to wipe off all the sweat beading on my brow.

No comments: