Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Bella Vita

Monday night, I made my way to non-descript Davenport for dinner, not as industrial as Dupont to the south, but not as pretty as St. Clair to the north. Annabelle Pasta Bar, a petite bistro at the corner of Davenport and Dupont, offered daily fresh pasta. The kitchen/pasta bar sat on the main floor with 2 tiny tables, with some additional seating upstairs.

I ordered some Po di Pane Bianco ($8), spicy pork meatballs with romesco ($8), and pappardelle with beef cheeks ($10). The cheese-covered puffy bread reminded of Eastside Mario's, the meatballs were serviceable and the pasta was all right. It was a step above Sugo, an Italian eatery at Lansdowne. I wouldn't go back to Sugo but if I lived in this neighbourhood, I would make Annabelle a regular joint. In the summer when the tree-lined hillside across the street would be cheerfully verdant, it would be an especially great view. But for better pasta in the city, and not much more expensive, there are better choices.

No comments: