Thursday, November 24, 2016

Ain't Nuthing But A G Thang

On a rainy Wednesday night, I fell asleep after dinner. I woke up groggy and realized I had already missed sets by Fiver and Jesi Jordan at newish venue Baby G. But I willed myself into a quick change to get there for the album release of my favourite indie sister group, Tasseomancy. They haven't made much noise in Toronto lately. I thought it was because one of them had moved to Montreal. It turns out it was further than that: sunny Los Angeles.

I was also taken aback by the size of the crowd. Who were all these people and where were they at previous shows? Looking at their baby (heh) faces, they were hipsters checking out a new venue in a gentrifying neighbourhood. By hipsters, I simply mean attractive, young folks who can stay out late on a week-night; the era of mustaches, beards, and manic pixie clothes has mostly moved on in Toronto. It doesn't really matter because tonight, Tasseomancy did strictly all new material from Do Easy. They still write literary, often elliptical verses, but the new sound has less of that folky, Old World (Eastern European) feel.

No comments: