Saturday, October 24, 2015

Ironed Island

On Friday, I headed over to Roncesvalles for lunch at La Cubana. When I had dinner here at this Cuban diner, I recouped my cost by finding a $50 bill on the sidewalk. It was unlikely I would be as lucky again, but I'm sure my luck will hold for a Cuban pressed sandwich ($9) and some donuts ($5).

The sandwich came out hot and gooey. But it's best to wait for it to cool down. This allows the flavour of the salty ham to come through. In my mind, what makes this dish are the little tangy bursts provided by the pickles. The donuts were a nice combination of sugar and fat. They were larger than the version offered back at the parent restaurant Deluxe in the old days. The bigger size wasn't an improvement as it made the centre too doughy. Overall, this was a tasty lunch for a crisp but bright afternoon.

No comments: