Monday, June 8, 2015

The Sizzler

On Sunday, I was wandering through Chinatown after doing groceries. My favourite Chinese burrito joint wasn't open. Near College and Spadina, I came upon Indian Sizzler Kebab. This South Asian place was a bit lonely amidst the Chinese eateries. I have passed by it numerous times and usually see an empty place. So I have been skeptical of its bona fides. But the promise of a cheap lunch led me inside.

As I waited for my Chicken byriani combo (salad + soft drink) at $6.99, a steady stream of South Asian customers came in for take-out. It may explain why the joint seemed usually empty. Certainly, the formica tables and TV showing an Indian superhero movie lacked ambience. Lunch didn't start out very promising. The salad was a pedestrian affair, enlivened only slightly by applying some spicy chutney. But the rice dish was much better. First of all, it was an enormous pile of rice. Another reason for take-out, this works better as two meals. Fragrant and spicy, I thought this was better than Dindigul but it may be because the drier style was more familiar to me. Unfortunately, because of the cheap price, you didn't get much chicken. And it was on the bone to boot. But what I had was tender and flavourful. Sizzler certainly qualifies as a good cheap-eats place and I'll have to return to try their kebabs.

No comments: