Friday, June 12, 2015

Hey Mama

For lunch on Thursday, I headed over to Mamajoun at Warden and Ellesmere. The name sounded odd, but it became clear when I came inside. Lahmacoun is a middle-eastern pizza-like dish with a thin crust and covered with ground beef. They had a variety of these "joun", as per the Armenian spelling, with different toppings. You added on some additional choices like olives or hot peppers, and they turn the whole thing into a wrap.

But I was more interested in their "Armenian pizza" so I got the cheese for $9. This turned out to be a thin-crust affair, although slightly thicker than a joun. I didn't love the crust, now that Toronto has a plethora of Neapolitan-style pizzerias with superior dough. But I did enjoy the toppings: generous amounts of goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and bursts of lime. It was an unusual but tasty pizza with definite "Middle Eastern" flavour. You can also buy other Middle Eastern foodstuff from the common such as pita to rarer fares.

No comments: