Sunday, January 18, 2015

Circle Of Life

I'm still not feeling it and continuing to stay mostly at home. But on Friday, I did venture out to Whelan's Gate, a small bar near Bloor and Keele that feels like a medieval tavern. A friend was celebrating a significant birthday milestone. Partly because of that, and partly because of some health concerns, he has been both freaking out and in a funk. I reminded him that there were still decades left (even if they seem to be accelerating.)  That and a few beers lightened up the general mood.

For a pick-me-up on Saturday I returned to my new favourite cheap pizzeria Fresca Pizza. It's fun watching pizzas being made. Tonight, the wife was on duty and she was just as surly as the husband. Nevertheless, the orders kept coming in via phone and on-line. There were plenty of walk-ups too, some of whom have been apparently been eating here for 10 years or more. So despite my last impression, Fresca do have plenty of regulars. These folks know the score: load up on $3.50 slices of either pepperoni or margherita. Some paid ahead so as to guarantee a serving hot from the oven and not be left empty-handed. I did enjoy my custom-order pie, but I wonder if I should stick to the per slice option, especially during the busy dinner hours. Thin, hot, and gooey, they look as close to NY pizza as you'll get here in Toronto.

No comments: