Sunday, August 10, 2014

A la recherche du temps perdu

Saturday morning, I took advantage of the free yoga class offered by Union Yoga for their grand opening. Like all free events, the studio was packed mat to mat. One of the yogini was a woman who I practiced with back in 2003. I felt a sense of dislocation seeing her again after so long. She was still beautiful and girlishly slim, but the passage of 10 years was apparent in the tracery of lines around her eyes. No longer boho girl, but becoming une femme d'une certaine age. It made me wonder about what additional marks I have gained, unnoticed by the flow of daily life.

Afterwards, I had lunch with my friend at Imonay where a filling bowl of pork bone soup and a spread of 10 kimchi dishes will only set you back $8. But here too time marched on. For in our conversation, it was clear that care-free youth has slipped away. I wasn't fully aware how difficult life has become. At a loss for words, I could only offer emotional support. It was a sharp contrast to the bright, sunny weather. But then I have made a count of the summer days, and there are many less than you would guess.

No comments: