Sunday, March 16, 2014

Play It Again

A few of the local library branches have piano rooms. So on Saturday, I went to the Parliament site to check it out. What a disappointment. Not only was it out of tuned but worse, a number of the keys did not work. In a way, it was a bit like the neighbourhood. Some of the houses have been renovated but numerous others showed decades of benign neglect.

After about 1 hour on the temperamental piano, I was looking for a luncheon place. I recalled that the Globe and Mail critic recently raved about King Place at Dundas and Sherbourne. Certainly, this Pakistani place did not entice from the outside, all bright neon next to a convenience store. There was a large selection of pre-cooked choices and an equally confusing menu. But the large menu essentially enumerated 1, 2, or 3 picks meals.

I chose Chicken Kashmiri, Okra, and Palaak Paneer ($10.99). My lunch price was slightly cheaper than the listed price because I had only 1 meat option. All dishes had strong flavour, good spice, and very rich (i.e., quite oily). This was food you eat every 8 weeks if you want to save your arteries. The naan was crispier than usual, slightly salted and had flecks of sesame. In fact, it reminded me of the Persian flat bread barbari.

No comments: