Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fry One On

I heard that Khao San Road on Adelaide had some new dishes. Since I was in the neighbourhood on Saturday, I dropped by for a bite. In addition to new appetizer Crispy Rice Salad ($12), I also ordered a slight variation on the pad thai, the 3-flavour pad thai ($15).

Crispy Rice Salad
Three Flavours Pad Thai
The crispiness of the rice comes from being fried in a big rice ball. Then it is broken up and mixed with ginger, lemon grass, cilantro, and scallions. There is some spiciness from the khao yum sauce. First, the flavours were wonderful and fragrant, when you can taste it. Unfortunately, this particular version overwhelmed with tangy acidity. The crusty rice had a nice crunch. But as a personal preference, I felt that cooked or steamed peanuts would have provided a better balance than the roasted kind.

The pad thai also had great flavour though the primary taste of tamarind distinguished it from the usual dish. The beef was a bit hit and miss. Most Thai restaurants only seem to do chicken well and I was hoping for an exception here. The noodles were too greasy though, and reduced the nice chewiness of good fried noodles. Khao San was better than most, but I'm not sure worth the $35 lunch.

No comments: