Sunday, October 6, 2013

Two Down

After I bought some snacks in Chinatown on Saturday, I made my way through Kensington Market. I was accosted by a burly (and possible mentally ill) drunk who went on a bizarre and long saga about his supposed time with the Hell's Angels and their confrontation with the Hong Kong Triads. The upside was that afterwards I found myself passing by 7 Lives right at opening time. I walked past this tiny taco joint (SoCal and Tijuana style) several times in the summer and it was always busy with a line-up from the get-go. But there was no customer yet, so here's my chance.

I ordered a carnita taco ($4) and a blackened mahi mahi taco ($5). The counter had a selection of sauces but I found that even the hottest habanero only packed a mild punch. The pork taco was delicious, thick and tasty chunks balanced with a good selection of fresh avocado, onions, and tomatoes. The fish was also good, but its lightness could not compete with the bold flavours of the other ingredients including the corn tacos. These tacos, like all recent "gourmet" taco places, are about twice as expensive as your Mexican-run diners. The carnita was worth the money, though without my cheap Asian snacks, I would have been quite a bit lighter in the wallet to get a filling lunch.

No comments: