Saturday, February 4, 2012

Year of the Dudgeon?

There is belief that a given year is better for some animal signs. I wonder if this is a bad year for me. I have been particularly clumsy, dropping this and that. Surprising since as I get older I notice more deliberation in my movement, no doubt practice for my doddering phase. Recently, I dodged two potentially nasty accidents. As I was cooking, a roll of paper towel fell next to a heated stove. I instinctively grabbed for it to avoid a fire, dropping my chef's knife, which landed two inches from my foot.

Over this past week, I've been unable to go out because of the slowest developing cold ever. Apparently my immune system is only strong enough to lose a rear-guard action. Each night, my body progressively worsens. First, a few dry cough. Then a slight chill down the back. The cough grows longer. A sniffle appears. By Superbowl night, I fully expect a full-blown fever.

One bright spot was dinner at Black Skirt on Thursday. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the good sized portion. I actually wanted to try Bestellen next door, but this meat/mead bistro hasn't opened yet. The mixed green ($5.95) went well with the speducci ($8.95), four generous skewers of salted and grilled lamb drizzled with olive oil. The main was a pan-seared tilapia with asparagus and olives ($20). A large filet, lightly cooked, topped with salty and slightly sour olives. Compared to other places which might give you two or three spears, there were maybe seven or eight here. This makes for a filling dinner but not a pleasant bathroom experience the next day.

No comments: