Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ravenous

I was quite hungry when I stopped by Ravi Soup on Adelaide near Spadina around lunchtime. From the outside, it looked quite small: a few seats by the front window and a purchase counter. But inside, there was a bigger space next to the kitchen dominated by a large wooden communal table, and a good-sized patio with about 10 metal tables. The only downside to the patio: it was enclosed by  adjacent buildings. Their large external AC units spinning away meant that the patio wasn't very quiet.

This restaurant specialized in 2 things: a small selection of soups and wraps (plus 1 stew). I ordered the soup and wrap combo ($10.99). The butternut squash soup was deliciously smooth and creamy, the asian pears added some crunch and sweetness, and there was a hint of spiciness. This was a great soup. The roasted pork shoulder was tender and went well with the wrap. The spinach and other herbs in the wrap didn't do much for me: much too bland. I enjoyed the (mildly) spicy tamarind ketchup but would have preferred a bigger kick of a hot southern BBQ sauce with my pork. All in all, a good place to get a tasty lunch.



No comments: