Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Karaoke Damaci

Karaoke is now a popular activity, which has spread into more mainstream culture include live-band karaoke and even rap karaoke. Although some people take it too seriously.

I was excited to go to a party where there was some English karaoke as part of the entertainment. I have sung 2-3 times at a friend's house. But Vietnamese songs come in two flavours: depresssing and suicidal. Will singing in English be different? Let's find out!

Lots of English pop songs have catchy chorus, or at least evoke a nostalgic feeling of past youth, and so encourage people to join in on the fun.

Sadly, I have a range of about 1.5 octave. And I sing most songs in my upper register which leads to a sore throat the next day. I should either find out what key will cover most my range or sing falsetto more often.

It's interesting to watch a couple engage in a bit of passive-aggressiveness in a duet which teeters between endearing (oh, love banter) and public meltdown (hmm, that was awkward).

Some people have naturally strong voices and performing chops. Others are naturally enthusiastic.

I've never known anyone to be tone-deaf. There's lots of reasons for someone without training to sing off-key: a capella, no musical intro hinting at the first new notes, at the limit of their range, unfamiliarity with the melody, large interval jump between notes, and of course trying to hold a note. But to be off on practically every note is quite something to behold behear.

No comments: