Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Boyz To Meh

After the movie, I made my way down the block to the Burrito Boyz around College and Clinton. I've heard numerous reviews about this franchise and their gourmet burritos. I ordered a large shrimp burrito which came to $10.17 after taxes.

While I was waiting for my burrito, a few thoughts popped into my head. Why don't they add more seating in this barren layout? Is it a hip thing? Also, working at McDonald's is obviously a McJob. Is it better here because you can wear piercings and play hip-hop and dance music? Ah, here comes my burrito.

This is kind of bland. Sure, seafood doesn't really absorb the flavour of its sauces but I've had shrimp that were sweet and juicy. They haven't overcooked it because it's not rubbery but outside of the chewiness there's not much else. The crispy wrap is nice but the rest of the ingredients is just so-so. It's not better than any Tex-Mex franchise out there. I guess if I'm out late and other places have closed I could go here.

So the verdict is that New York Subway, at Queen and Bathurst, still makes the best burritos in Toronto. The regular ones are around $5 and the jumbo ones are under $10. The jumbo ones are probably 33% to 50% bigger than Burrito Boyz'. And the best part? Both the vegetarian options (and there are 3-5) and the meat options are spiced indian-style. That's right ... Indian-Mexican burritos! Get it spicy if you can stand the heat, but don't wimp out any lower than medium though. The vegetarian ones have a slight edge because they are more obviously indian-inspired, and also the meat burritos are stuffed with lettuce filler. But you can't go wrong either way.

One caveat though. Preparation is slow even when there's no lineup. So prepare to wait at least 10-15 minutes. Better yet, I believe you can call ahead and place your order. Or spend your time wandering down to Misbehav'n at 650 Queen W and watch the dancers in lingerie shake their money maker.

No comments: