Friday, October 9, 2026

History Repeating

On Friday, I went to another show ($53) since the previous one was enjoyable. The group that owned History in Toronto opened another one in Ottawa. Not to bury the lede but this one was so good that I might return despite it being a Ticketmaster-affiliated venue. It was right downtown besides the Rideau Mall instead of out in a far-flung neighbourhood. Better yet, instead of "airport security" and long lines, I walked through the scanners and inside in less than 20 seconds. Located inside a former Chapters bookstore, History Ottawa was more in-line with Concert Hall in size than its larger sibling. Yet the smaller space still had great sight-lines and sound.

Boy Golden hailed from Winnipeg and his band The Church of Better Daze mostly came from out west including (Western Rock Artist of the Year) Fontine. However, I noticed that Torontonian Dani Nash (The Pining) sat behind the kit. The latest stuff was languid country while the early songs were high tempo honky-tonk and rockabilly. Boy Golden was less about cowboy stoicism than being socially progressive (Suffer) and emotionally available (I Wanna Know). It was an engaging opening set from a gregarious performer.

I saw Afie Jurvanen a few times before he got big as Bahamas. His "good ol' Canadian boy" personality went over great with the crowd and got cheers and laughs. He reminisced about Ottawa venues like Zaphod (now 27 Club) and Babylon, referred to his songs firmly tongue-in-cheek as "soft rock ballads", and humourously posited the new material as being obsolete since computers can write music now. With 8 albums, Bahamas did keep the latest to a minimum and played from his whole catalogue. His songs were a little too punchy to be "soft rock" even if ironically the most popular ones (Lost In The Light) were close to that genre.

I actually came for Christine Bougie (guitar) and Felicity Williams (back-up vocals) and they did not disappoint. But Jurvanen was no slouch on guitar and vocals. Him trading licks and chords with Bougie was what kept the songs propulsive and grooving. Though he usually sang higher up, the biggest cheers came whenever he switched to falsetto (All The Time) and let his voice with Williams' even higher soprano soar. His dad jokes persona kept going through his set. When he saw that someone in the front row was on their phone during one of his segue, Afie launched into an impromptu cover of On The Road Again that his band quickly picked up. With a career now at 17 years, and his audience approaching retirement age, Bahamas came on at 9 and finished at a quarter past 10 pm. I appreciated the early wrap since I was no spring chicken myself

No comments: