Saturday, February 3, 2024

Why Are Thou Willie

The hibernating marmots were out on Friday to predict the weather. As for me, I usually celebrate Groundhog Day at a nice restaurant. That petered out during the pandemic years although I was in Toronto last year for a milestone birthday. I had planned on doing it again this year but canceled it since I will be in The Big Smoke at the end of February for a postponed concert. Two trips in the same month was too profligate because even a short visit of a few days can add up to almost a thousand dollars.

I was already heading to the St. Laurent and Montreal area to I print my bus tickets at the local library. So I decided to look for a spot for a mini-celebration. As the branch did not open until after lunch, I wandered down side-streets until I arrived at McArthur Ave. Before the strip malls decimated St. Laurent, these two roads must have had bustling storefronts. There were still a smattering of local businesses along the latter.

I stepped inside Stacked Smoked Meat and Grill expecting a venerable diner. Unfortunately, it was a new place exuding nondescript food vendor vibe complete with generic banquette seating, a few tables, and grey faux wood paneling. I ordered the Stacked combo ($18.95) comprising of an 8 oz sandwich, slaw, and fries. I turned down the free pop that came with the meal. It was a large lunch for the price; the limp pickle disappointed but the fries were hot from the fryer, the slaw was fresh, and the sandwich was stuffed to overflowing. The meat was average, resembling smooth bologna as opposed to the marbled and textured slices of high-quality Montreal smoked meat. But it was about what I expected so I was reasonably satisfied.

On my way back to the library, the sky was overcast. But I previously saw my shadow in the morning sunlight. So will there be an early Spring or not?

No comments: