Thursday, May 18, 2023

Lao and Clear

I haven't done much except remote work, spend hours on the clock app, and play some chess online. I was a bit bummed out that I missed several shows in Toronto: Yamato Drummers (Apr 13), Bikini Kill (Apr 14), Teishi (Apr 15) and U.S. Girls (Apr 28). I had tickets to those gigs with the one for Bikini Kill bought at Rotate This way back in 2019. But I was flip-flopping about whether or not to stay with my friend. By the time I decided that she was too stressed over her new business to entertain guests, last-minute hotel prices were through the roof.

For Mother's Day, I stopped off at Quelque Chose and got macaron (a box of 6 costs $16) for my elderly relative as well as my mom. My relative was really showing all of her 95 years. She was noticeably frailer than 6 months ago and seemed despondent. House-bound since her fall, she was no longer strong enough to visit her friends for their regular card games.

My sibling and their daughters came by on Sunday to help my mom buy some Spring flowers. We then stopped off at Harvey's. One of my nieces has a nut allergy so chain restaurants was a safer bet. My veggie burger was bland but the onion rings were crispy. Nobody loved the macaron (too sweet) with the lavender one tasting like "air freshener" according to my youngest niece.

On Wednesday, I headed to Toronto for a few days. After I dropped off my stuff (the room wasn't as nice as my previous stays), I went to the nearby Lao Lao Bar. This new eatery has been getting buzz for its food and backstories. It was located on St. Joseph, a small side street where I saw a show at the Canadian Music Centre. The décor was oh-so-hip in a perfect blend of Eastern and Western styles. It was a large space but packed with a buzzy crowd.

I ordered the tapioca dumplings/Sakoo Yat Sai ($16) and a duck laab ($25). The dishes seemed pricey but it turned out the portions were quite large. So the cost ratio was decent and better yet, the food was excellent. The dumplings were chewy and slightly sweet like giant boba balls. They were stuffed with earthy shiitake mushrooms. Fresh mint completed the nice flavour profile. The laab was balanced and not too acidic. It was a step up from the usual offering but the duck did feel a bit gamey by the end. But it's true that hunger is the best seasoning and there was too much food for one person. Lao Lao is a great restaurant that I would visit regularly if I still lived in Toronto.

No comments: