Thursday, February 4, 2021

Stay Calm and Curry On

Most people were probably not into Groundhog Day this year. The last 12 months has felt like the same day just like Bill Murray's predicament in the epynomous film. And 6 more weeks of winter (or anything) was both inevitable and unwelcomed.

There was no storm as in previous years but I still wanted to keep my Groundhog Day tradition. But Spice Indian Bistro had shut down last October due to Covid rents and Alma wasn't open today (and it had a weird flavour profile). In any case, with only take-out as an option, this year didn't have the same vibe. So I returned to Tsu Chi to get a main.

I opted for the 13-spice beef curry ($14.80) with a side order of karaage ($4.80). This was excellent vegan food. I don't need my plant-based meals to replicate meat flavours but these were spot-on. The karaage looked and tasted like fried chicken. And the curry was delicious, a wonderful substitute for any non-meat eaters hankering for Japanese curry. Even better than the real thing.

My only complaint was that both were a few bucks too expensive for me to consider coming here as a regular. More than $15 for essentially coleslaw, rice, and curry and more than $5 for 2 small drumsticks were over my price point for a go-to spot.

No comments: