Saturday, August 1, 2020

Limp Biscuit

On Friday, I dropped by Madras Masala at Christie Pits Park again. With Toronto in stage 3, perhaps the restaurant had reintroduce sit-down dining? No such luck, it was still only take-out. However, guests could eat their meals on the patio since tables were set up for use. There was even a cooler of ice-water and paper cups on hand.

So I ordered a dosa masala ($10.99). The Indian crepe was folded up inside a styrofoam container with the chutney sauces, sambar soup, and potato filling in separate cups. It was a wasteful amount of one-use items but plastic reduction has taken the backseat since the start of the pandemic. The entrée itself was only a partial success. It was nice to finally taste a proper dosa after these months. But it could not retain the crispness and most bites were soft and doughy.

After an afternoon nap, I visited a house north of Dufferin Grove to look at a possible residential move for me. I was unsure about it since this new location included a room-mate. But the apartment itself, occupying the 2 top floors, was gorgeous. It was partly from good foundation including hard-wood flooring. The landlords, who lived on the main floor, obviously kept it in good shape. But the current tenant had a major hand in it, too. They had furnished it with welcoming accoutrements from comfortable sofa to homey kitchen table to a collection of well-maintained plants.

I was won over by the idea of a ready-made Eden to replace my current minimalist set-up. But I didn't love some privacy aspect. Though there were 2 bathrooms, one for each of us, they were next to each other instead of being on separate floors like in my imagination. But mostly it fell apart because my prospective room-mate was lukewarm to my approach. I wasn't ready to give notice to my landlord until I had a promise in hand. I guess my cautious ways instead of, in their words, a "leap of faith" was a turn-off. In real estate, as in romance, lack of commitment will kill the deal.

Update (Dec 2020): I have been obsessing over rental ads during the pandemic. Over the last few months, I realized too late that this unit was a rare gem. There has been none that matched its qualities (except for ones that were much more expensive).

No comments: