Friday, May 29, 2020

Get It To Go, Joe

Earlier in the year, I noticed that the coffee shop in the residential area of Shanly and Gladstone was being replaced with a taco joint. With Tierra Azteca, Tortilleria, and Latin World nearby and on the main street, it was stiff competition. Then the pandemic happened. Recently, on my early morning run to shed that lockdown weight gain, it looked like Gus Taco has finished renovation. On Wednesday, I decided to drop by for lunch.

In any case, it wasn't strictly a taqueria per the signage but also offered other dishes including quesadillas and burritos. During my time there, there was a good-sized crowd waiting for their orders. I don't know if they were curious like me or fans of their main location in Kensington Market. I opted for 2 beef tacos ($5/each) and a chicken torta ($10). With no sit-down options at this time, I skedaddled south to Dufferin Grove Park to get a bench underneath a shady tree.
The tacos were stuffed full of fragrant beef, onions, and parsley. I squeezed on some lime and added hot sauce. It was delicious with the soft taco providing just enough chewiness. The tasty corn undertone blended nicely with the earthy meat. The sauce had quite a kick so I decided to cut back and save some for dinner. You may want to ask for the mild, medium, or peanut sauce.

The torta was also a great choice: soft bread, golden chicken, and a messy mix of black beans, avocado, and other ingredients. I had to keep the sandwich in its paper wrap like a shawarma to keep everything from spilling out onto my lap.

It was almost too much lunch and I was glad I did my workout this morning. If I had to choose, the torta would be the better choice for a budget lunch.

No comments: