Monday, December 2, 2019

Journey of a Thousand Steps

The city was in the midst of a second snowstorm on Sunday. Despite that, I made it to a vigorous Yoga class on Queen. So I wanted to treat myself to a nice lunch, both for braving the weather and going to a rare high-energy class (I'm getting to the age where gentle Hatha is more my style). But the restaurant I had my eye on wasn't open until dinner.

I decided that since I was already out in the slush and flurries, I might as well get some errands done. So it was off to Chinatown to buy some groceries. Then I made my way to College and Spadina to look at some old computer equipment. But apparently Silicon Alley was no more; all the stores have gone under. There was only 1 small one hanging on and the local chain Canada Computers which only sells new gear.

The Chinese dumpling shop Bauza Bauza Bauza nearby was the perfect spot for lunch. I had some tasty steamed dumplings and a warm bowl of 8-grain congee. I decided to stop by a new café/dessert place in the old Caplansky's deli called LeTAO that specialized in Japanese-style cheesecake and chocolate.

Looking over the menu-board, I opted for a slice of the double chocolate fromage ($7.25). This outpost of the Japanese chain does not make anything in-house but ships from Japan. Over the strain of Plastic Love, I took a bite. I generally prefer the milder and less sweet Asian desserts, so this cheesecake was wonderful. The flavours were subtle as you let each layer present itself. A nice break in the day before fighting through the snow to head back home.

No comments: