Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Mad as Heck

On Tuesday, I was at the Danforth Music Hall to see some women rage. First up was Vagabon. I have seen this small powerhouse musician several times. I felt a little disappointed tonight because she has left behind some of her garage/punk sound for quieter introspection. Nevertheless, she still packed a good punch.

For this tour, Courtney Barnett has decided to decorate her stage with a series of logos that  was a cross between Soviet iconography and the Mercedes brand. Her music is associated with a loose, psychedelic rock and densely verbose lyrics. There was plenty of that especially on her older songs. But the new tunes tapped into a simmering anger, especially at the stunted man-child. And if the lyrics of Nameless, Faceless weren't clear enough, her roar throughout I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch made the rage abundantly clear. It was a great show from an artist who is growing ever more assured.

No comments: