Monday, April 10, 2017

Dangerous or Delicious

Passing through the Dundas St area, I noticed there is a new pizza joint at Dundas and Dovercourt. More importantly, Double D Pizza's specialty was Chicago deep-dish. Since there's only 1 other Chicagoan purveyor in Toronto out in the east end, I wanted to give it a try. So on Saturday night, I finally ordered my first ever Chicago deep-dish.

And it looks literally like a pie with deep sides. The personal one ran $12 and although at first glance it seemed rather small, I was stuffed by the end. The crust was surprisingly thin, especially along the sides. In fact, I'm not sure I liked the brittle cracker feel near the top.

However, if the best part of a pizza for you is the tomato sauce and cheese, a deep-dish is ideal. The inside was gooey and dripping with a layer of sauce on top of cheese and pepperoni. Ultimately, it was just too heavy and oily for me. This style of pizza is perhaps something I might eat once or twice a year.

No comments: