Sunday, May 8, 2016

Dearly Beloved

Of the many tribute shows for Prince taking place around Toronto these past few weeks, I decided that the one at Holy Oak on Saturday was likely to be the most "joyful". The same group of local musicians who put together such a memorable Prince night a few years back was organizing the event. The redoubtable Mary Margaret O'Hara won't be there, but some of my favourite singers will be.

I was glad I got there early with the other senior citizens because the combination of a tiny café/bar and the musician count of around 15 alone meant there was barely any room for any one else. Since they recently had a visit from the police, management was adhering strictly to their capacity limit. But the sad truth was (from my numerous times at Long Winter shows can attest) a venue at "capacity" in Toronto is barely half full. Late-comers stared in disbelief at the empty space but had to content themselves with dancing outside to the music coming out through the open door.

And it was mostly dance music with the song selection coming from Prince's funkier output including I Wish You Heaven, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Sex In The Summer, and Money Don't Matter 2 Night. Folk singer Ivy Mairi was over the moon channelling a pop diva for her rendition of I Would Die 4 U while Isla Craig was her usual sexy cool self. Other singers were unknown to me but all were in top form. They excelled because the tight "house band" provided superb musicianship all night, especially Kieran Adams (Diana) who was a monster on drums.

No comments: