Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Repeat

It has become a tradition that I eat at Black Skirt on Groundhog's Day, usually with a snowstorm in progress. On Tuesday, it was a balmy evening in a mild winter and the restaurant has closed. I guess that tradition is over. Looking around the neighbourhood, I decided to drop by The Emmet Ray.

As I sat there, I recalled that I used to sit in a similar pub years ago during my college days. But there have been changes. I'm no longer so fresh-faced. This pub has a much bigger selection of beer and spirits. Finally, its menu of roti, tacos, and so forth was more modern than the old offerings of stew or burgers. But I did settle on a typical fare of deep-dish pizza ($14), if only because the ubiquity of flat neapolitans has lately been challenged by Chicago and Detroit-style thick pies.

Mine came out looking quite substantial, and covered with ground beef, tomato sauce and mozzarella. Such hefty fare went well with my strong beer, soaking up some of that excess alcohol. The toppings were a tad on the salty side but all that dough helped. I took home half of the pizza. I don't know if this will be a new tradition, but this bar would make a good neighbourhood spot.

No comments: