Monday, May 4, 2015

Thin Is In

I had fun eating the blood sausage congee at Pho Son last winter. Now that the weather has turned nicer, I decided to return on Saturday to try the other restaurants in this strip mall at Runnymede and St. Clair. Since it's in their name, I ordered the "banh cuon special" at Banh Cuon Thanh Truc. This rice noodle roll is similar the Chinese version served during dim sum, but thinner and stuffed with either ground pork (banh cuon) or plain (banh uot). I prefer mine plain, which makes it easier to dip in the fish sauce. The quality of a good roll is its thinness, and the ones made here are practically translucent. So each roll had great toothsomeness. In addition to the usual pork sausage (cha lua), the special came with a fried squid version with dill (cha muc), and a fried mung-bean donut (banh cong). I thought all the sides were great. Finishing off with some bean sprouts and pickled condiments, and this entree was a nice, light brunch.

No comments: