Thursday, February 20, 2014

It Lives!

On Monday, I went to Live Food Bar at Dupont and Spadina. This small but bright eatery promises not just vegan food but mostly uncooked. Their philosophy is "the only way food should be processed is by the human body". I'm definitely not committed to this odd premise but I was curious to try the food.

For the main course, I opted for the raw pizza ($16). What came out was more hippie bruschetta, but I suppose without cooking it would be quite difficult to form the large "pizza pie" base. So I had 4 pieces of walnut sweet potato crust, topped with almond parmesan, and little bits of arugula, pesto, tomatoes, olives, and cashew feta. The plate was artfully drizzled with olive oil and a tangy vinaigrette. It was tasty, though the portions were quite small. But it was more akin to eating a dense cakey bread than pizza. For dessert, I tried their take on the "Jos. Louis bar" ($5). The chocolate shell was dark and rich. The nut-based interior was gritty and healthy instead of creamy and sinful.

No comments: