Sunday, July 7, 2013

I'll Be Back?

I was excited to try Saturday brunch at new spot Bickford Flexitarian which replaces The Linux Cafe. But after waiting 10 minutes in a half-full restaurant, and no water, no menu, not even a server, I left. I guess flexible service is also their motto.

I made my way to Kensington Market and stopped off at The Burgernator. They have a manifesto written on a wall declaring "war on bad burgers", using only local, fresh ingredients. Strong words given the plethora of good burger joints in town. Can they live up to their boast? Let's try the Atomic Burger ($8.50) with some cut fries ($2.99).

The burger came out with a thick 6oz patty. On top sat a deep-fried herb-encrusted cheese. The patty was rich and almost loose. A good chew but could use more fattiness. The cheese was just gilding the lily. I would prefer it melted over the patty. The sun-dried tomato aioli didn't add much to the flavour. The fries was average: fresh but insufficiently crunchy. All in all, a good enough lunch but unlikely to challenge the top joints in town like Burger Priest.

No comments: