Sunday, June 30, 2013

Artless

When the larger Arte Gelato opened at the corner at Delaware and Bloor, I thought tiny bakery Bakerbots was done for. But the latter is still going strong with line-ups that have continually grown longer. Feeling loyalty to its ice cream sandwiches, I have stuck with Bakerbots. But it doesn't offer food, and I haven't eaten dinner yet before the Dwayne Gretzky show. So Arte Gelato it is for a late Friday meal.

From their menu of sandwiches and pizza, I opted for the Tutte Carne: a thin-crust "meat lovers" pizza ($8.99). The toppings were good: gooey cheese, meaty sausage, and some smokey bacon and ham to finish. I didn't detect much roasted chicken though. But the crust was sub-par. Knowing they didn't have the special pizza ovens of Libretto et al, I was skeptical they could do a thin crust. And I was right. It tasted like stiff cardboard, reminding me of the cheap store-bought economy-size pizza my family bought when I was growing up. It had a more toothsome chew where the crust was thicker, so you might be better off with the pricier thick-crust Italian-style versions.

No comments: