Saturday, October 13, 2012

Not Too Shabb-hy

With Indie week happening and numerous other bands playing Friday night,  I had planned on checking out at least one show. But after a delicious Shabbat dinner, I was stuffed to overfull and fell asleep after getting home. The appetizer was avocado dip. It was fresh and rich, but a bit under-salted. This would have been taking care of by the corn taco chips. But these were healthy, organic low-salt ones! Sometimes you need to eat a bit unhealthy for more flavour.

Dinner started with an apple challah. It was freshly baked but the apple slices made the interior slightly soggy. I went back for several tasty bites though my reaction cycled through "Ew ... wet ... yum ... apple" (and repeat). The vegetarian chile had surprisingly meaty content. This was achieve by bulking up the dish with bulgur, mushrooms, and grounded pecans. I got a second delicious helping. In retrospect, I should have passed on the second bowl and added those chips instead. For dessert, we had home-made pumpkin cheesecake. It was good but I'm not a big fan of cheesecake's denseness.

No comments: