Saturday, June 16, 2012

Garcon, Un Table S'il Vous Plait

When La Palette pulled up stakes and left Kensington Market, a Frenchman moved in and established Le Kensington Bistro. Despite the good reviews, it got lost in the buzz for places like Black Hoof or Grand Central. But it's doing well, especially on a gloriously sunny Friday morning.

I sat on the patio, watching people passing by. Exclamations of joy or pain came drifting out from inside the restaurant, depending on how France was doing in its Euro 2012 match. For appetizer, I ordered the mussels basquaise ($10). It was a generous 1/2 lb (10-17) of mussels steamed with tomato, fennel, and red pepper. A light and delicious start to lunch.

Mussels Basquaises
Chicken Rotisserie
I was tempted for the classic steak-frites but I was feeling like chicken today so I opted for a half rotisserie chicken ($16) with fries. It was so juicy and tender, even the leaner breast portions. I like chicken skin to be crispy, but here though soft it was flavourful. The fries were a tad greasy, but dipped in rich aioli it was a guilty pleasure.

It was a wonderful meal for a leisurely day. It would have been perfect if across from me sat a slender Parisienne, in a summer dress and a stylish hat. But l'homme propose, Dieu dispose.

No comments: